Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Homemade mayonnaise

I know that mayonnaise isn't exactly the healthiest of condiments out there, and to be honest I don't eat it all that much. Actually, we eat it so seldom that we never have it in the house because it just goes bad before we can use a good portion of the jar.

But, on the weekend we were hoping for a quick lunch, and tuna salad certainly fits that bill. So, I litterally whipped up some mayo. And it turned out very tasty - it's yellow, not white like the storebought stuff (not sure why).  You can find a variety of recipes online, but I used one from my favourite cookbook: The Cook's Book of Everything (sidenote: I love this cook book. I received it at my wedding shower and use it ALL the time).

(I had to switch to a hand blender because I was only using 1 egg yolk and it was not enough liquid for the Cuisinart to do its thing!)

The end result




13 comments:

Carol-Anne said...

We go to Spain quite often and they don't sell mayo there, so our friends always make it and it's fabulous!

emily said...

Looks good! I may have to try this. I am not a big fan of the jarred mayo.

Yara Simón said...

That looks like a good sandwich. =]

B is building a house said...

That is one ultra yummy looking sandwich :)

B

Amelia said...

I am part of the minority that LOVES mayonnaise, but I've never thought of making it before. Great idea - thanks for sharing!

charmaine said...

The sandwich looks good! I have to try that mayo recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Tess said...

ummm....YUM. I'm going to have to pin this and try it. I love the idea of swapping out the store bought mayo for some homemade goodness!

Anne-Marie @ 10 Rooms said...

Thank you for that link - I use it only rarely and the expired jar ends up going in the trash barely touched. Fresh is always better :)

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

My mouth is watering. I never thought to make my own mayo, but I'd love to try!

Carole said...

Hi there, this is a really nice post involving eggs. It would be great if you linked to it in my brand new Food on Friday series. This week it is about all things egg. Food on Friday It would make my day if you put a link into it via the Mr Linky widget.

Carole said...

You are such a star for putting up the link. Thank you very much. Hopefully soon we will have a nice collection of all things eggy!

Meesh @ I Dream of Chairs said...

I bet it tasted way better than the store bought mayo. You gotta wonder what weird stuff is in a bought jar to make it last for months!

Carole said...

Last week you very kindly linked an eggy post to my Food on Friday series. This week it is all about asparagus. Would love to see another contribution from you. Food on Friday

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...